Real Jesus. Real Kids. Real World.
At Church of the Good Shepherd, we believe that kids need the gospel too, and aim to love them through sound teaching, compassionate leadership, and consistent mentorship. While we adhere to the belief that the family is a child’s first place of ministry, the church strives to reinforce the nurture kids receive within their own families and to further support these children as they grow to know Jesus personally.
As we resume in-person Children’s Ministry activities, we have put together a COVID-19 protocol for our children and volunteers.
We now have special CGS Children’s Ministry social media channels. Check them out below:
When + Where
Sunday School for ages 3 years – 5th grade is held during the 9:30 hour in assigned classrooms. Kids can check in at the Welcome Desk located in the Kids’ Concourse.
During the Worship Service, kids ages 3 years through 1st grade can be dismissed during the announcements to attend Children’s Worship. Children’s Worship is split into two classes: 3 & 4-year-olds, and Kindergarten-1st grade. Parents must drop children off at their classes and pick them up once service is over.
We also have Kids’ Worship Bags for use during the service. Each Sunday, visit our Children’s Worship Bag Table, located at the back right side of the Sanctuary, to pick up an age-appropriate children’s worship bag prior to the service. Two sets are available: one for children 3-7 years old & one for kiddos 7+ years old. Each week they will contain kid’s bulletins, crayons, and a Bible storybook (for the younger kiddos), and maybe even a fun surprise from time to time! So grab a bag each Sunday & don’t forget to return it at the end of the service!
Ages 12 weeks through 2 years are accommodated throughout the service in the nursery for the entirety of the service.
We use a digital check-in system that prints name badges for children that include food allergies. To check in, simply visit the Kid’s Check-in Desk in the Kid’s Concourse, located just outside the nursery. Please be able to affirm the following statements before checking your child in to Children’s Ministry:
- No one in my household has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last 5 days.
- No one in my household currently has any COVID symptoms: new cough, fever, chills, difficulty breathing, shortness of breath.
- No unvaccinated person in my household has had close contact (been within 6 feet of someone diagnosed with COVID-19 for a cumulative total of 15 minutes over a 24-hour period) in the last 5 days.
- No one in my household has been contacted by health department staff advising them to quarantine for 5 days.
Our kids’ Sunday School classes are from 9:30-10:30am. For our SMC hour, our CGS kids are engaged in a Gospel-rich, Jesus-centered curriculum, Gospel Story Kids, by Marty Machowski.
“The Gospel Story Curriculum teaches children that the Bible is one continuous story pointing to Jesus as the hero. Designed to span three years, the 156 lessons present key stories from Genesis to Revelation, each highlighting God’s plan of redemption in a way that’s engaging, interactive, and easy to understand.”
Click here to view the Scope & Sequence for the Early Fall Session of CGS Kids Sunday School Lessons.
Our children are currently engaged in a study of the First Catechism, a children’s version of the Westminster Shorter Catechism. This curriculum is taught on a three-year cycle and will cover all 150 questions of the First Catechism. Each Sunday, during the sermon portion of the worship service, our young children (ages 3 years through 1st grade) will be dismissed to learn together, in a systematic way, the basic tenants of the Christian faith, using Little Oaks First Catechism Lessons, written by Marti Hutchison, our Children’s Ministry Director.
Scripture Memory Challenge
Our Scripture Memory Challenge this year coordinates with our Sunday School curriculum, Gospel Story Kids.
- The 2nd Annual Great Out-West Fall Fest: Saturday, October 22, from 4:00-6:00pm. Sign up to attend, volunteer, or bring chili here!
- “Nursery Play Days”: The first Tuesday of every month from 10:30am-12:30pm
- Preschool Story Time!: Every Friday from 10:00-11:00am in the Kids Resource Center
- Preschool “Cookies & Carols” Christmas Party: Saturday, December 3rd, time TBA
- CGS Kids Christmas Service Project for Kindergarten-5th Graders: Saturday, December 10th from 10:00am-12:00pm
Marti Hutchison (Director of Children’s Ministry)