OFFICER NOMINATIONS OPEN THROUGH DECEMBER 23. The members of CGS understand themselves to be submissive to the ruling authority of our Lord Jesus Christ. Within that understanding, we are led locally by two scripturally-based categories of church officers: Elders and Deacons. Both of these offices are understood to be lifelong ordinations, but each office makes provision for periods of sabbatical from active service.
The office of Elder includes two subgroups: Teaching Elders (TEs) and Ruling Elders (REs). TEs are ordained by Presbytery, and most commonly engage in full-time ministerial careers. REs (and Deacons) are ordained by the Session of the local church in which they serve, but most commonly hold their primary vocations outside of that church.
REs and Deacons at CGS are elected once (only) by our congregation for the purposes of ordination. However, they are elected to active service on a staggered basis, consisting of three-year terms.
Members of CGS may nominate potential Officers from November 9 thru December 23, 2018, either online HERE or by filling out a paper nomination form. Paper ballots may be returned to the Welcome Center at the entrance to the sanctuary, or may be placed in an offering plate, or may be dropped off at the church office.
Before you submit a nomination, prepare by praying and reviewing the qualifications required of elders and deacons, as laid forth in such passages as Acts 6, 1 Timothy 3, Titus 1, and 1 Peter 5. With those passages as background: (1) Determine if you know of a potential nominee for elder or deacon who you believe meets those criteria; (2) Confirm that the individual is willing to be nominated; and then (3) Fill out the nomination form.
Men who are nominated will attend a series of preparation classes in early 2019. After that introductory series of classes, each nominee decides if he wishes to continue the process. All prospective officers will be examined by the Session via written exam and an interview, prior to standing for election in late May 2019.
- Please prayerfully review the qualifications below for Ruling Elder and Deacon and consider which men at CGS demonstrate these characteristics.
- Please contact each man, informing him of your interest in nominating him for office.
- Submit the names to the church office by December 23, 2018. Nomination forms may be a) placed in the offering plate; b) placed in an “Officer Nomination Box” located in the Welcome Desk outside the sanctuary, or outside the church office; c) made online HERE.
- The qualifications for the office of elder are given primarily in 1 Timothy 3:1-11, Titus 1:5-9, and 1 Peter 5:1-7. These passages outline high spiritual, moral, social, and familial qualifications.
- Ruling Elders are ordained by the congregation. Key texts describing the roles and responsibilities of Elders include Acts 20:18-31; Romans 12:8; Ephesians 4:11-16; 1 Thessalonians 5:12; 1 Timothy 3:1-7, 5:17; Titus 1:5-9; Hebrews 13:7, 17; and 1 Peter 5:1-4. These texts describe the four primary responsibilities assigned to the office of elder: 1) ministry of the Word (preaching and/or teaching, 2) shepherding, 3) leadership, and 4) serving as an example to the flock.
- Ruling elders — acting in concert with our TEs (as the Session) — are charged with maintaining the spiritual government of CGS.
- The work load associated with the office of Elder varies, but averages approximately 5-6 hours per week.
- Deacons are ordained by the congregation. A sense of the roles and responsibilities of Deacons can be identified in Acts 6:1-6. They are recognized as individuals who are gifted as servant leaders concerned with the practical details of church life. At CGS, this includes a principal focus upon extending mercy ministries to those in need, both within CGS and beyond.
- The qualifications for Deacon are listed in 1 Timothy 3:8-12 and Acts 6:2-7. Note the emphasis upon being “men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom.”
- The work load associated with the office of Deacon varies, but averages approximately 3 hours per week.